"Top 10 Dumb things that smart agents do!"
- Agents give offers to vendors from unqualified buyers who have not signed a contract and when the sale does not proceed, they have permanently destroyed all vendor expectations
- Agents take contact details from open house visitors and do nothing with them
- Agents get dressed up for work and hang around the office pretending to be busy
- Agents spend more time trying to get a higher price from buyers rather than getting vendors to accept the reality of the current marketplace
- Agents attend training course after training course, and yet they still follow their same, old, ineffective patterns over and over again
- Agents go to listing presentations acting as a valuer, not as a marketing based professional who is there to create a plan to get the highest price
- Agents rely on reducing their commission fees as their unique selling proposition at a listing presentation
- Agents door knock strangers for prospecting, yet they won’t nurture existing contacts they already have a relationship with
- Agents go for weeks without speaking to vendors and when they do, they don’t tell them the simple truth. Remarkable!
- Agents rely on the market. The market is the market. It is a force you cannot control. So focus your energy on what you can control. Then things will get better when you get better.
I would hate to think that any of Team Toop did these dumb things, but if we do, I'd love to know.
Today, selling real estate successfully is about being open and transparent, honest and bold. The whimpy agents, the spin doctors and those who do not understand selling to an informed audience are all floundering and probably won't make it.
The real estate industry is in full scale reform. Now that I'm back on deck I am tidying up some incredible technology that is nearly ready to go live and to be publicly released. World first, world class and low cost - times are a changing!
In the mean time, we also need to keep our feet on the ground and Tom's “Top 10 Dumb Things” serve as a timely reminder for all of us.
Anthony Toop, Managing Director.
© Toop Real Estate Group